A person with dual citizenship is a citizen of two countries at the same time. While the United States allows dual citizenship without necessarily promoting it, not all countries do. Fortunately, Italy, along with Australia, Canada, UK, Ireland and a few others allow dual nationality without any restrictions.
There are several ways to obtain dual citizenship with Italy:
1. Through Ancestry, i.e. jure sanguinis (by right of blood)
3. Legally residing in Italy for a certain number of years
But why would somebody go through this lengthy and expensive process? There are obviously numerous advantages to having a dual passport:
- Residing in Italy without the need of a long-stay visa, quite desirable if you are planning to retire there
- Attending school at the local tuition rate
- Working in Italy or in any European Union country without the need of applying for a work permit
- Minor children automatically become Italian citizens when you apply
- Reconnecting to your Italian Roots by immersing in the culture of your Ancestors and learning the Italian language (NOTE: Speaking the Italian language is not a requirement to apply for Italian Dual Citizenship jure sanguinis)
Having said that, if you are thinking of applying for Italian Dual Citizenship, you need to be aware that you will be bound by the laws of both Italy and the US. Fortunately, Italy does not have mandatory military service anymore.
For issues regarding double taxation, Italy and the US have income tax treaties to avoid just that. More HERE. However, because tax laws are complicated and can change often, you should consult with a qualified tax accountant.
If you are a US national, Italy does not require citizenship to own a property there. Also in this case, it is advisable you seek professional help, if you are planning to purchase a home in Italy.
Finally, it is always best to learn the pros and cons before pursuing your dream of becoming an Italian Dual Citizen. Remember, once you choose to move forward, whether you are just getting started, or need help getting to the finish line, sign up for a TELEPHONE CONSULTATION with us, and we can answer your questions and get you started right away!