Tips for Italian Dual Citizenship Applicants: Name Changes

You officially changed your name as different from the one listed in your birth certificate and you are applying for Italian Dual Citizenship here in the U.S., will this cause a problem?

The Italian government usually permits name changes in only two situations:

  1. Your life is in danger
  2. Your birth name is obsene

If you changed your name prior to applying for Italian citizenship, you must amend your birth certificate. To do so, you generally need to request a change of name decree from your local court, then contact the Department of Vital Records of the U.S. state in which you were born and ask them to amend your birth certificate, presenting the decree as supporting evidence.

For more information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions.

Let My Italian Family Do The Work For You!

Give us a call! We offer a FREE Telephone Consultation for applicants who have questions regarding qualification, required documentation, estimated cost, timelines, and tips on how to make an appointment with an Italian Consulate here in the U.S. (among other questions). We will also perform some free preliminary research to establish if you have a path to Italian Citizenship! Call us at 1-844-741-0848, we are ALWAYS OPEN!

Alternatively, you can book your FREE consultation at your convenience.

At My Italian Family, we provide FULL assistance, handling all the purchasing and preparation of your entire portfolio of documents, whether you apply at an Italian Consulate here in the U.S. or you apply in Italy (including 1948 Challenge Courts Cases). Our experience spans 20 years, and we have expert knowledge of what each Italian Consulate requires and what the Italian Courts require. TO GET STARTED AND FOR MORE INFORMATION, CLICK HERE. 

© 2015 MY ITALIAN FAMILY, LLC. All rights reserved.

In the picture, the Duomo (Cathedral) of Carrara, Tuscany