Married couples often want to apply for their Italian dual citizenship at the same time, even if only one of them is qualified for citizenship jure sanguinis. In order for a spouse to apply through marriage, the couple must first be married three years and one spouse has to have Italian citizenship.
Citizenship through marriage is not a right, it is a request, and as such requires a separate and distinct process and is not guaranteed. Couples are advised to consult the website of the Italian Consulate where the Italian citizen is registered to get the most up to date information on applying for Italian citizenship through marriage. Some Italian Consulates in the United States have modified their previous practices regarding their citizenship through marriage application procedure. Interested individuals now must first submit the required documentation online as opposed to making an appointment.
At a minimum be prepared to:
1. Demonstrate that the spouse is under the jurisdiction of the particular Italian Consulate
2. Provide the record of the marriage from the Comune (town) in Italy where it was registered
3. Provide a certified copy of the spouse’s birth record with Apostille and translation to Italian
4. Provide FBI and State criminal background checks of the spouse that are no more than 6 months old
5. Submit the required application fee to the Italian Consulate
6. Provide any additional documentation that is required by your particular Italian Consulate
If all submitted documents are approved, applicants should assume that it will take up to two years after submitting their documents to obtain their Italian dual citizenship. Applicants may also be required to provide additional documentation or have a formal interview before being granted citizenship. Remember citizenship is not a guarantee.
Because the Italian citizenship through marriage process is changing slightly, it will probably evolve further. Interested individuals should regularly check their Italian Consulate website for updates in the procedure and process.
Click HERE to learn if you qualify for Citizenship by Marriage.
Click HERE to schedule a Telephone Consultation or call 1-888-472-0171.
© 2016 MY ITALIAN FAMILY, LLC. All rights reserved