Qualification Requirements: your father or mother(*) was born in Italy, was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth, and neither you nor your parent have ever renounced Italian citizenship.
(*) Additional Requirements: if you are using your mother, you must be born ON or AFTER January 1, 1948.
Documentation Needed: if eligible, you must obtain the following documents (newly issued in long form, certified, apostilled and translated to Italian):
- Your father's birth record
- Your mother's birth record
- Your parents' marriage record
- The applicable parent’s record of naturalization, or proof that he/she never naturalized
- Death record for the parent through whom you are seeking citizenship
- Your birth record
- Your marriage record
- Divorce decrees for you and/or your parents (if applicable)
- Records of additional marriages for you and/or your parent through whom you are seeking citizenship (if applicable)
In addition, you will have to provide a copy of your passport, driver's license and one utility bill to confirm your actual residence AND you will have to fill out up to four (4) application forms, stating that neither you nor your ascendants ever renounced Italian citizenship before any Italian authority, listing all the places of residence:
Form 1 – Application of Italian Citizenship
Form 2 – Application of Italian Citizenship
Form 3 – Application of Italian Citizenship (for any living ascendants)
Form 4 – Application of Italian Citizenship (for ALL deceased ascendants)
AIRE Form - Census for All Italian Citizens Residing Abroad
NOTE: You don’t need to have these forms notarized with the exception of Form 3.
All US vital records must be issued in "LONG FORM" and have to be in "CERTIFED COPY". You must request the Vital Statistics Authority to state the CITY OF BIRTH, listing only the "County" of birth will not be accepted.
If you qualify through one of your Italy-born parents, we can assist you with your application from Start-to-Finish or by choosing from our "à la Carte" menu. Get Started Now!