Qualification Requirements: Your father or mother was born in the US or a country other than Italy, his or her parent (your grandparent) was born in Italy and was an Italian citizen at the time of your parent’s birth (*), and neither you nor your parent ever renounced Italian citizenship.
(*) Additional requirements: If you are using your father's mother, your father must be born ON or AFTER January 1, 1948. If you are using your mother's mother, your mother must be born ON or AFTER January 1, 1948.
Documentation Needed: if eligible, you must obtain the following documents (newly issued in long form, certified, apostilled and translated to Italian):
- Your grandfather's birth record
- Your grandfather's certificate of Italian citizenship from Italy, also known as "Certificato di Trascorsa Cittadinanza Italiana" (Note: Check if your Italian Embassy and Consulate require this certification)
- Your grandmother's birth record
- Your grandparents' marriage record
- The applicable grandparent’s record of naturalization, or proof that he/she never naturalized
- Death certificate for the grandparent through whom you are seeking citizenship
- Your father's birth record
- Your mother's birth record
- Your parents' marriage record
- Death certificate for the parent in your direct line of eligibility
- Your birth record
- Your marriage record
- Divorce decrees for you and/or your parents and/or your grandparents (if applicable)
- Records of additional marriages for you and/or the parent and/or the grandparent through whom you are seeking citizenship (if applicable)
In addition, you will have to provide a copy of your passport, driver's license and one utility bill to confirm your actual residence AND you will have to fill out up to four (4) application forms, stating that neither you nor your ascendants ever renounced Italian citizenship before any Italian authority, listing all the places of residence:
Form 1 – Application of Italian Citizenship
Form 2 – Application of Italian Citizenship
Form 3 – Application of Italian Citizenship (for any living ascendants)
Form 4 – Application of Italian Citizenship (for ALL deceased ascendants)
AIRE Form - Census for All Italian Citizens Residing Abroad
NOTE: You don’t need to have these forms notarized.
All US vital records must be issued in "LONG FORM" and have to be in "CERTIFED COPY". You must request the Vital Statistics Authority to state the CITY OF BIRTH, listing only the "County" of birth will not be accepted.
If you qualify through one of your Italy-born grandparents, we can assist you with your application from Start-to-Finish or by choosing from our "à la Carte" menu. Get Started Now!