If your mother was not an Italian Citizen at the time of your birth, please CLICK HERE to select the situation that applies to you.
If your mother was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth and you never renounced your right to Italian citizenship you must obtain the following documents, ALL IN ORIGINAL:
1) YOUR MOTHER’S BIRTH CERTIFICATE FROM ITALY (the birth certificate must be either in "formato internazionale", or in "estratto per riassunto" showing her father and mother's names). Order her Birth Certificate through My Italian Family.
2) YOUR FATHER’S BIRTH CERTIFICATE (see above, or, if in the U.S.A., request a "certified copy" or a "long form" or a "full form"; (not "certification" or "abstract"). Order his Birth Certificate through My Italian Family is he was also born in Italy.
3) YOUR PARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE (if the marriage took place in Italy, follow the procedure above). If it took place in the U.S.A., you must obtain a "certified copy" of the license and certificate and an APOSTILLE from the Secretary of State of the State where it was issued + TRANSLATION to Italian
5) YOUR MOTHER’S CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION or her Italian passport and permanent resident card ("green card"). Order her Naturalization Record with My Italian Family.
6) YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE (you must obtain a "certified copy" a.k.a. "full form" or "long form" (not abstract), with an APOSTILLE from the Secretary of State of the State where it was issued + TRANSLATION to Italian
8) YOUR FATHER’S DEATH CERTIFICATE (if applicable)
9) YOUR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE (if applicable) with an APOSTILLE from the Secretary of State of the State where it was issued + TRANSLATION to Italian. If your marriage certificate lacks information such as dates and places of birth, you must also obtain a certified copy of the marriage application/license.
10) YOUR DIVORCE DECREE/CERTIFICATE (if applicable) with an APOSTILLE from the Secretary of State of the State where it was issued + TRANSLATION to Italian. The divorce decree must also include the "certificate of no appeal".
11) YOUR SPOUSE'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE (if applicable)
13) YOUR APPLICATION AND YOUR DECLARATIONS THAT YOU AND YOUR ASCENDANT NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, LISTING ALL THE PLACES OF RESIDENCE:
Form 3 – Application of Italian Citizenship (for any living ascendants)
Form 4 – Application of Italian Citizenship (for ALL deceased ascendants)
AIRE Form - Census for All Italian Citizens Residing Abroad
NOTE: You don’t need to have these forms notarized.
14) COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT AND DRIVER'S LICENSE
15) YOUR MOTHER’S CERTIFICATE OF ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP FROM ITALY, also known as a "certificato di cittadinanza italiana". NOTE: Most Italian embassies and consulates do NOT require this certificate. Please check with the Italian Consulate of the State where you reside. Order a Certificate of Italian Citizenship through My Italian Family.
All US certificates must be in "CERTIFED COPY" a.k.a. "LONG FORM" or "FULL FORM" Certificates reporting only the "County" of birth cannot be accepted. You must request the Vital Statistics Authority to state the CITY OF BIRTH. For more information please visit our page of Addresses of Vital Records Offices.
IF YOUR MOTHER BECAME A NATURALIZED U.S. CITIZEN BEFORE YOUR BIRTH, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP (unless you fit into another category).
NEED HELP WITH YOUR APPLICATION? Our comprehensive “Start-to-Finish Program" includes gathering of required Italian & US Vital Records, Naturalization Papers, Apostilles and Translations in preparation for your Consulate interview.